This month’s Teaching the Faith with Current Events explores what the Church proclaims about her most precious Sacrament, why the Eucharist should be preeminent in our lives and in our devotions, how we can truly participate in Christ’s Sacrifice at Mass, and what it means to carry our Faith out into the world with gratitude and joy.
In this lesson your students will:
- Learn what the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches about the Sacrament of the Eucharist.
- Read and analyze selections from Pope St. Paul VI’s 1965 Encyclical on the Eucharist, Mysterium Fidei, in which he proclaims that the Eucharist “should be the focal point and goal of all other forms of devotion” (64).
- Evaluate what it means to participate actively in the celebration of the Eucharist.
- Assess why so few U.S. Catholics believe in the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist, as shown by the recent Pew Research survey of July, 2019.
- Discuss the ways that we can show reverence towards God in the Eucharist, and be witnesses of Christ in the world.